At the intersection of Meeting and Broad Streets in Charleston are institutions representing federal, state, local and ecclesiastical law on each corner of the intersection.
On the southwest corner is the U.S. Post Office and Federal Courthouse, on the northwest corner is the Charleston County Courthouse, on the northeast corner is the Charleston City Hall and at the 4th corner of the law is St. Michael’s Episcopal Church at the southeast corner of the intersection.
St. Michael’s is the oldest church structure in Charleston built on the site where St. Philip’s was located before relocating to Church Street. The cornerstone was laid in 1752 and the church opened for services in 1761. The structure of the building is little changed since.
The church yard and plaque. 2 signers of the U.S. Constitution, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney and John Rutledge are buried here.